Capacity Building Workshops
The 5th International Workshop on Psychological Interventions After Disaster (PIAD)
The 5th International Workshop on Psychological Intervention After Disasters (PIAD) took place from 14-17 November 2016 in Manila, Philippines. The focus on the Asia and Pacific region is related to two important facts: First, the four billion inhabitants of the region form 60% of the world’s population and 41% of the natural disasters around the world occur in this region, frequently causing extensive damage, loss of life, and severe hardship; and second, the majority of countries in this region often lack an advanced infrastructure or responsive rescue systems, and help is typically concentrated on addressing physical and infrastructural devastation with less attention being paid to effects on individuals and groups, especially of psychological adversity. This year’s workshop was the fifth in the series, after successful workshops in 2012, 2013 2014 and 2015.
- Click here to access the Final Announcement
- Click here to access the Application Form
- Click here to access the Final Report
Faculty Presentations at the 5th International Workshop on PIAD are available at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCsattYq48JlGHBRFGZcK8g
The 4th International Workshop on Psychological Intervention After Disasters (PIAD)
The 4th International Workshop on Psychological Intervention After Disasters (PIAD) took taking place between 9-12 November 2015 in Taipei, Taiwan. More details of the programme can be found here: PIAD 2015 Programme Book
- Faculty Presentations at the 4th International Workshop on PIAD are available at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE3Kq0ws8SD2QDr0E3FyDylgdtvBmr_Mm
4th International Workshop on Psychological Intervention After Disasters, November 9–12, 2015 Taipei, Taiwan - First Announcement
In the last decade, more than 40% of the natural disasters around the world occurred in the Asia-Pacific region, causing untold damage, loss of life, and hardship. The majority of countries in this region often lack an advanced infrastructure or responsive rescue systems. This will be the fourth in the series of workshops for the Asia-Pacific region first organised in 2012 and held annually since then. It employs international scientific and applied expertise to help researchers, educators and practitioners in the Asia-Pacific region have a better understanding of and ability to respond to the mental health consequences of disasters in the region. This workshop focuses on the psychological dimensions of response to and assistance after disasters.
- Workshop on Psychological Intervention after Disasters (PIAD) in the Asia-Pacific Region, Mianyang, Sichuan, China, December 8-11, 2014
- The overall aim of this workshop was to use existing IUPsyS experience and its access to international scientific and applied expertise on resilience in the face of stressful and traumatic events to help researchers, educators and practitioners in the Asia-Pacific region to increase their understanding of and ability to respond to the mental health consequences of disasters so prevalent in the region. A renowned international faculty of scientists worked with participants on most recent scientific and applied scientific evidence and knowledge, and showed the constraints and opportunities of dealing with particular target groups such as children and adolescents. The workshop program further addressed knowledge provision, education and training in academic programs of psychology, and helped develop a regional network to support continuance in scientific research and training in mental health support following disaster. To view the final report, click here: Final Report.
- Building Individual and Organizational Capacity for Psychological Intervention after Disasters in the Asia and Pacific Region
- Report of the IUPsyS Capacity Building Workshop on Building Individual and Organizational Capacity for Psychological Intervention after Disasters in the Asia and Pacific Region. Beijing, China, October 11 – 14, 2013.
- Workshop for Countries in Central Asia: Disaster and Bereavement
- Building on the successful series of three capacity-building workshops within the programme on Conflict Prevention in the South Caucasus Region, this three-day workshop, held in Tbilisi, Georgia, in November 2012, focussed on countries of Central Asia and the topic of Disaster and Bereavement.
- Change Fellowship Awards
- This competitive fellowship program, co-funded by the Jacobs Foundation, the South African National Research Foundation and IUPsyS, was set up to enable seven researchers from the Sub-Saharan African region to start a new research initiative with an emphasis on positive development ("thriving") and maladjustment related to the conditions of the particular region.
- Conference on Psychology Education and Training
- Based in part on a survey of more than 40 countries undertaken by the Work Group on Education of Psychologists, the aims of the conference were to address how Psychology Education and Training is handled in many countries across the world, and to examine the international regulation and standards concerning curricula and accreditation.
- Workshop on Psychological Intervention after Disasters in the Asia and Pacific Region
- Report of a workshop run by IUPsyS with the support of ICSU, the Chinese Psychological Society (CPS) and the Chinese Association for Science and Technology (CAST). The workshop was held in Beijing, February 2012 and focussed on capacity-building for psychological interventions following disasters, with a particular emphasis on the Asia and Pacific Region.
- Strategic Planning for Capacity Building: Report
- This report is based on the outcomes of a meeting held 1-3 May 2011 which focussed on the Union's current and future capacity-building activities over a four-year to eight-year period. The report articulates the principles upon which decisions concerning Capacity Building should be based.
- Workshop on Advanced In-Field Training and Curriculum Development
- Conflict Prevention in the South Caucasus Region Series III (Tbilisi, October 2011)
- National Capacity Building Workshop at Regional Conference of Psychology (Bahamas, November 2011)
- Workshop on Intervention following Bereavement: Application & Training
- Conflict Prevention in the South Caucasus Region Series II (Jena, October 2010)
- Interview with IUPsyS President Rainer K Silbereisen on the Caucasus Workshop Series
- National Capacity Building at the ARUPS Conference (Kuala Lumpur, November 2010)
- 2010 National Capacity Building Workshop at the ASEAN Regional Conference of Psychology, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Prior To 2010
- National Capacity Building Workshop at Regional Conference of Psychology (Sofia, November 2009)
- Workshop on Bereavement Research and Practice
- Conflict Prevention in the South Caucasus Region Series I (Jena, October 2009)
- Building Psychosocial Interventions in the Tsunami Aftermath (Singapore, 2005)
Click here to view the Capacity Building Initiative in the 2004 Tsunami Aftermath Video